Saturday, April 10, 2010

New Generative Topic

After thinking about surveillance and privacy i have fine tuned my generative topic.

Now my topic is this:

How does new media technologies influence the psychology of self within a group dynamic? What is in our human nature that motivates us to put up status reports? Also what are some negative and positive effects can these sites have on adolescence that have not yet fully matured developmentally. How can self and groups be taken advantage of by government or consumer society? How can they use it to their advantage (promote self)?

8 comments:

  1. I think these questions that you revised are really great and much to think about! I liked your approach to surveillance art. I think our group picked very different artist that approach surveillance art in different ways and that is very interesting. I also really liked how your discussion topic went to facebook status reports, because it is a topic that everyone can connect with. Im sure all of have put status reports at least once on facebook and now it is a good time to analyze why we did it, or why we like to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reflection is very interesting.
    You may want to focus on self as she relates to the reflection -- part of that reflection can be considered the group.

    So which this is mind, what does surveillance art do to the reflection?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many great questions! Surveillance is an interesting topic, that is leading me to many different areas of thought. When thinking about surveillance, it is obvious that people act different when they know that they are being watched/recorded. Even in pictures, when someone knows they are being photographed they often pose in some sort of way that they want to be presented as. However maybe the best pictures are natural ones that are not posed or fake. I think with the increase in technology and cameras recording us that we may become more comfortable with them. I liked the artist you showed who recorded random people and made a story to go along with it. More artists may use this kind of art making as it will become more available and possibly relatable to us if we become more attune to being recorded..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a really interesting web of thought happening here- perhaps concentrate on one of these questions because although they all derived from the same idea they will lead you in different directions. I really like the idea of the self/group dynamic- the "one among many". How does society effect the individual and vice versa? As far as developmental ideas this makes me think of Bronfenbrenner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our human nature is to be in contact with people or to have attention from others. We like to feel loved and we like to feel relatable. By posting status reports, we express our feelings and people can comment on it. Knowing people care is what motivates us to post these statuses. Before internet was as big as it is now, that was the same reason why we loved getting a phone call from someone or a letter in the mail and why we still love when someone just stops by to visit. This sometimes causes a problem, however, when we want attention from people but we also want our privacy so we don't want to give them too much information. Status reports give us this luxury because we can say what we want and we don't have to respond to people's comments if we don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the idea of a group dynamic within the context of new media is really interesting. I think a large part of social media is based on the group dynamic - For example, being able to reach many people with a simple status update (say, for example, "I'm making soup") and being able to find a connection with someone else out there (Maybe my friend had really good soup yesterday).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry that I was unable to get back to the city to work on and present this project with you guys. I hope that if Jen has me present alone, that I am not too far off topic from you guys. I am glad to hear that it went well, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it influences psychology of self because it forces us to really look at ourselves from the outside in. We think things are one certain way in our mind, but it actually can look so much different from the outside. It's interesting to see how we react compared to how we THINK we react, you know?

    ReplyDelete